When adopting a kitten, the next step is determining the best time to spay or neuter it. Your cat’s health may suffer if you have a kitten spayed or neutered at an early age. Though there are benefits to spaying and neutering a kitten, you may only get them some if you wait too long. All you need to know is how old your kitten is, the average age for spaying and neutering, and when your physician recommends having the procedure done to determine if it is time to get your cat spayed or neutered by a veterinarian in Kitchener.
When Should You Get Your Cat Spayed or Neutered?
- Hold off until the kitten is at least a few months old. The optimal time to spay or neuter a cat is a topic of some contention. Spaying or neutering a kitten as early as two months of age is recommended by some specialists.
- It is recommended to neuter a female kitten before its first estrus. The belief that you should hold off on spaying a cat until its first estrus is false. Preventing it before her first cycle, on the other hand, will benefit her health beyond that.
- Seek advice from your vet. When you should spay or neuter, your kitten depends on your veterinarian’s opinion. Discuss the expected operation date and the reasons for the vet’s assessment that your kitten is ready with your veterinarian.
Deciding Whether to Neuter or Spay Your Cat
- Think about how your kitty will benefit. Having your kitten spayed or neutered will improve its health in many ways. Even though surgery is not easy, these advantages more than justify putting your kitty through the ordeal.
- Think about the advantages for your family. Having a kitten spayed or neutered has effects beyond the feline itself. You and your loved ones may also benefit from it. So, if you want to avoid dealing with a litter of extra kittens, spaying and neutering your kitten is a good idea. It will prevent your kitty from accidentally becoming pregnant.
- Think about the societal benefits. The general pet population can be reduced if you prevent your kitten from reproducing in the future. There will be fewer cats overall if fewer cats can produce.
How Old Is Your Kitten?
Get your kitten weighed. If you want to have your kitten spayed or neutered at two months of age, you should watch for the telltale indications of that age. Assuming it has received adequate nourishment and care, a kitten at two months of age should typically weigh around two pounds.