Gertrude Jekyll quite correctly said, “The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies, but never grows to the enduring happiness that the love of gardening gives.” Gardening is indeed a therapeutic activity which helps to calm mind, body and soul. But how many of us knew gardening had some health benefits even to offer us? All this while we were busy nurturing or taking care of some outdoor plants that we probably overlooked the myriad of health benefits gardening had to offer us. Isn’t it? Nevertheless, it’s not too late, which is why we are here to discuss the top 7 secret health benefits of gardening today over this space. Keep reading to find out more!
- Exposes Us To Vitamin D – Sunlight is the greatest source of Vitamin D, which we get exposed to while gardening. Vitamin D is needed for developing a better immunity system and to have healthy, strong bones. In old age, the need for Vitamin D increases considerably, which is why gardening as an after retirement hobby can help senior citizens to help them stay healthy and fit.
- Decreases The Risk Of Dementia – As per some pieces of research, it has been claimed that gardening lowers the risk of dementia by 36 per cent. Not just people who are over 60 or so, but also for the people who are in their teenager phase are advised to engage themselves in gardening. So that they can reduce their risk of developing dementia in their later phase of life.
- Boosts Mood – Coming close to Mother Nature surely makes us all happy and boosts our mood, instantly. Gardening is said to be one such hobby which helps one to cope better with day-to-day stress, anxiety and depression. Research has proven spending even 30 minutes in garden or someplace outdoors makes a person cope better with various mental ailments and increases their efficiency to work in a stressful environment. Gardening lowers the stress hormone called cortisol and fills our bodies with oxytocin-the happy hormones.
- Take Care Of Your Heart – Gardening makes our heart stronger and happier. It strengthens our heart, improves its functioning and burns quite some calories – without us much realising the fact. So make the most of all the cardiovascular benefits that gardening has got to offer you by working hard on nurturing your garden.
- Increases Hand Strength – Gardening tends to improve our motor skills as we pull, pluck, lift and shift our heavy gardening tools and some pl It is a great way of strengthening our fingers and hand strength for as long as possible.
- Gardening Is Somewhat Equivalent To Aerobics – Not many people realise this fact about gardening that it is very close to aerobics workout. Every action that is carried out while gardening, for example, pulling out weeds, reaching for innermost bushes and bending down to pick up the gardening tools – every bit of it helps us to break a sweat. Gardening works on improving our strength, flexibility and stamina – without us, even knowing about it.
- Helps One To Fight Loneliness – Lack of companionship can often pull us closer to various physical and mental ailments. Hence, it is said people with low socialisation skills can engage themselves in gardening to improve their quality of life and makes a person self-reliant. Plants, flowers and all the fellow friends help one combat with their loneliness by providing with their company.
So, these were some of the secret health benefits that gardening offers us. The next time when you have some time in your hand, make sure to bond with your green buddies outside. Making acquaintance with them is sure to benefit your health.
What To Expect When Seeing a Lasik Eye Surgeon
The Role of Diet and Nutrition in Promoting Sexual Health and Well-Being
Specialties in Dentistry: Who Should You See?